August 13, 2014

one thing at a time

As my husband and I slowly make this house ours, we usually just complete one thing at a time. For example, we had talked about adding a shed to the backyard (to sort-of-compensate for the no basement) when we first looked at the house. Now, 2-1/2 years after purchasing our house, we finally built the shed. And when I say "we" I mean my husband and his friend. I was in charge of dinner and cold beverages because it was 90+ degrees out.

That was our only focus.
The shed.
Until it was done.

Its funny, we have these cycles of projects and then nothing, projects and then nothing. I guess that doesn't sound so funny, it sounds really normal, actually. Let me elaborate... I have known what I wanted our house to look like pretty much since the day we moved in*. We painted within the first few months of living here, and that solidified the vision I had. I have a list on my phone of what we need to buy and what projects we need to do.


So we will slowly zone in on one specific thing, and then nothing else gets talked about or looked at until the current item is complete. And we almost always take a decompression break between projects. An adjustment period, if you will. I guess that's what is funny to me. I know some people want to get everything done all at one time so they are "done with it". I think the main reason why this doesn't work for us is I am so picky. I just can't help it though! I even struggled making a wedding registry for us because I couldn't find the towels, sheets and bedding that I wanted. It took me around six months of looking online and in-store to find bookcases I liked (that we could afford). The same with the nightstands in our bedroom.

So, even if I wanted to get everything done at one time (and could afford to do that!) I don't think it would ever actually happen.

Plus, it is kind of fun to have one certain thing you are focused on. I think it helps us to really fine tune what we are doing and to get exactly what we want instead of feeling pressured to "be done".

What about you? How do you go about your house projects? Does your spouse have a say in what goes on? Do they care?

*Disclaimer: this makes it sound like the house is 100% my decision. For the record, I always ask my husband what he thinks, he just usually doesn't have much to say besides "whatever you want". And, in the case that he does have an opinion or request,  I always try to accommodate that.
Side story: when we first moved in, we had the dish soap bottle on the sink (the one you use to hand wash dishes). This seemed normal to me, but one day out of the blue my husband proclaims that he hates the bottle sitting there, and we either had to store it under the sink or find a nicer looking bottle for the soap. So I went to Target and found a clear glass soap dispenser from the bathroom accessories aisle and that is what we use. It is the little things sometimes...


No comments:

Post a Comment