December 8, 2014

(not my) christmas home tour

How are you?  I've been a little late on writing a new post haven't I?  ... Sorry about that.

I've been wanting to show you photos of my Christmas decorations.  This is the hold up: we have cats.

Now, perhaps many of you have mastered the art of cats-not-messing-up-pretty-things, but I have not.  We rescued two kittens (brother and sister) from an abandoned building near our chicken coop this past June.  We I didn't have intentions of keeping them, but after a few weeks, they were ours.  They are cute and funny and sometimes even adorable.  However, I did not fully understand the impact they would have on my home decor.  They knock things over, steal things and then hide them under the couch, and jump everywhere!  I have lived with dogs my entire life, so they were never on the kitchen table or counters...

So anyway, we put up our Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving (I waited, as promised).  My husband gently informed me (via youtube videos) that cats can ruin Christmas.  I was horrified!  How did I not realize that so many of my friends and neighbors were being terrorized by their Grinch-y cats?!  So many Christmas trees knocked over!  So many dancing Santa's falling off bookshelves to their demise!  So many ornaments crushed to smithereens!

After being slightly traumatized, I compromised and we only put up the purely decorative ornaments and ones that were not easily broken.  Each day, to my disappointment, my husband would call with the Christmas casualty report.  Over the course of the week, the cats bent about 10 branches, broke 2 ornaments, and relocated about 20 more.  The tree skirt stayed in place for maybe 2 hours.  We didn't even try to put the train tracks and cars around the tree *sigh*  I was truly beginning to get depressed.  (Dramatic, right?)  I love all of the decorating that comes with Christmas!  I love watching The Grinch while hanging ornaments on the tree. And those darn cats were ruining it!

This past Sunday, I decided I would not let the cats ruin Christmas for me!  We finished the tree and I set gifts under it (really just to anchor the tree skirt more than anything).  Is it currently late Monday evening, and today only one ornament was knocked off the tree and the presents were a little rearranged.  Perhaps the newness is wearing off?  I don't know, I'm (clearly) not a cat whisperer.

So, long story long, I do not have any photos of my Christmas decor yet :)  But they will be coming soon!

In the mean time, check out some of these beautiful home tours:

http://theinspiredroom.net/2013/12/02/christmas-house-tour/


http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/2013-christmas-house-tour.html


http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2013/12/christmas-home-tour.html


http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2013/12/iheart-christmas-home-tour-2013.html





http://sandandsisal.com/2013/12/christmas-home-tour.html


http://www.songbirdblog.com/songbird-christmas-home-tour-2013/

I love seeing how other people decorate their homes for Christmas.  Even in just the few images I have here, you see a white/blue scheme, a "woodsy glam" scheme, a coastal theme, traditional decor and some with bright pops of color!

I dream of the day that I have extra nooks and spaces to put more Christmas decor.  Because of our space limitations, we have to keep things pretty scaled back when it comes to surplus holiday items.

Check back soon for my Christmas home tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment